When: November 11 at 9 AM – 5 PM
Where: Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane
4340 W Fort George Wright Dr, Spokane, Washington 99224
Understanding why and how to use a racial equity lens is a key skill for progressive activists! This workshop will help our community develop a collective understanding and common language around institutional and structural racism and why addressing race matters in our current political climate, and identify how we can advance racial equity in our organizations and in our community.
The “Why Race Matters” Workshop is sponsored by the Peace and Justice Action League of Spokane, in partnership with Greater Spokane Progress. **This is the same workshop formerly called “Race: the Power of an Illusion – Why Race Matters.”
The “Why Race Matters” Workshop:
* examines the contemporary science that challenges common assumptions about race as biology and our similarities and differences,
* uncovers the roots of the race concept in North America, and
* reveals how our social institutions “make” race by disproportionately channeling resources, power, status and wealth to white people.
In this interactive workshop you will:
* develop a collective understanding of the difference between structural, institutional, and individual racism and the difference between equity and equality,
* recognize examples of institutional racism within the Spokane Region, and
* explore solutions and next steps together.
The workshop will be led by a multi-racial team of local facilitators from the Racial Equity Trainers Cohort of Greater Spokane Progress:
* Michaela Brown, Collective Impact Manager, Excelerate Success / Spokane County United Way;
* Farand Gunnels, Development Coordinator, PJALS;
* Shar Lichty, Organizer, PJALS;
* Liz Moore, Director, PJALS.
Registration includes lunch and snacks. We will cap registrations at 40 people.
$25 through October 28th
$30 October 29-Nov 10
**Limited number of scholarships available on a case by case basis. Please contact Shar at firstname.lastname@example.org if cost is a barrier**
See you there!