Online registration is now closed. You can register at the door Saturday morning! Registration & breakfast start at 8:00; program begins at 9:00.
Our 9th Annual Peace & Justice Action Conference: Building Beyond the Moment will be held February 23rd-24th at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane, 4340 W. Ft. George Wright Dr.
Friday, Feb. 23 6-8:30 pm Building Beyond the Moment! Opening Reception
Join us for tasty nosh, wine & more, and performances from local musical & spoken word artists.
Saturday, Feb. 24 9am-5pm All Day Action Conference Join us for a full day with three workshop sessions, a fantastic keynote, breakfast, lunch, and lots of opportunities to connect with like-minded folks who are putting their values into action!
Rave reviews about our Action Conference:
“Great variety of programs and the opportunity to meet new people!”
“It gave me inspiration and hope.”
“Surrounded by the energy of like minded people, rare in Spokane!”
“Open discussions, amazing positive energy, and equality.”
“I met amazing people and the mingle times were so productive and interesting. The energy at this conference and the reception was amazing. Wow! It is hard to feel hopeless about America’s current state when getting together to make a change like this.”
“Idealistic but practical. Motivating, energizing.”
We want YOU to join in this year!
Enjoy early bird rates through February 10th – add $5 after February 10th:
- $55 General Public
- $40 members of PJALS and co-sponsoring groups (see list of co-sponsors below)
- $15 Living Lightly (self-identified low-income, students, seniors, etc)
- Limited “workshare volunteer scholarships” are available—please contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org for info. Two-hour workshare shifts include set-up, registration table, resource table, clean-up, etc.
Location: Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane, 4340 W. Ft. Wright Drive
Friday, February 23: Opening Reception
6:00-8:30 Join us for tasty nosh, wine & more, and performances from local musical & spoken word artists. **Performers will be announced in early February**
Saturday, February 25th: Conference
Join us for a full day with three workshop sessions, a fantastic keynote, breakfast, lunch, and lots of opportunities to connect with like-minded folks who are putting their values into action!
8:00-9:00 Registration and Networking Breakfast
8:45-9:00 Opening Performances
9:00-9:30 Welcome and Dedication
9:30-9:45 Mixer Break
9:45-11:15 “Education for Action” Workshop Session 1 (90 min)
- Building Beyond Advocacy for American Muslims – Admir Rasic & Rasheed Bellamy, Muslims for Community Action and Support
- Nuclear Weapons and Social Justice: Building an Interconnected Movement – Lilly Adams, Washington Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Building Beyond the Moment: How-To’s for Powerful Actions and Campaigns – Liz Moore, PJALS
- Wake Up and Work: Anti-Racism for White People – Bill Aal, PJALS Steering Committee
- The Challenges of Housing Justice in Spokane – Terri Anderson, Tenants Union of Washington and Kay Murano, Spokane Low Income Housing Consortium
- Using a Language of Connection to Strengthen Relationships and Support Social Change – Mark Hamlin & Susan Burns, The Language of Connection
- Know Your Rights for Activists and Protesters – Neil Fox (NW Regional VP & criminal defense lawyer) & Jeffrey Cox, National Lawyers Guild
11:15-11:30 Mixer Break
11:30-1:00 “Education for Action” Workshop Session 2 (90 min)
- How to Support Refugees in Spokane: Panel – Refugee Connections of Spokane and World Relief
- Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival – Liz Moore, PJALS Director and Fitz Fitzpatrick, PJALS Steering Committee & Poor People’s Campaign-Washington Theomusicologist
- Digital Organizing in Advocacy – Paul Dillon, Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho
- Naming the Moment: People’s Analysis for Change – Bill Aal, PJALS Steering Committee and Tools for Change
- Washington’s Dirty Little Secret: How our state’s upside down tax code is holding us back – Jim Dawson, FUSE
- Your Story, Your Power – Layne Pavey, I Did the Time
Keynote Address: How Racial & Economic Inequality Fuel White Nationalism in America
Keynote Speaker: Eric K. Ward, Western States Center (Bio available here)
2:45-3:00 Mixer Break
3:00-4:30 “Education for Action” Workshop Session 3 (90 min)
- Beyond Allyship: How to make our work truly inclusive of Trans and Non-Binary Identities – Ian Sullivan, Odyssey Youth Movement
- Federal Budget Realities: Money for War, Not for People: Panel – Shar Lichty, PJALS; Terri Anderson, Tenants Union of Washington; Paul Dillon, Planned Parenthood; and Lilly Adams, Washington Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Walk a Mile: Restorative Justice – I Did the Time
- Nigel Farage, Steve Bannon, and Spokane’s Resistance to Fascism – Joan Braune, Kate Bitz, & Lucia Gregory
- Growing Your Network Through Self Identity – Maureen S. Caputo, Bonnie Roberts, Julie Kelley, & Jacob Johns, Social Advocacy Liaisons
- Facilitating Peer Support for Trauma and Self Care in our Social Justice Community – Kelly Rae Matthews, Bene Gesseritt
4:15-5:00 Closing Plenary: Going Forward Together!
Co-sponsoring organizations’ members can attend at the PJALS member rate. If you’d like to co-sponsor, please contact Shar at email@example.com. Underwriting sponsors make this event a wonderful success–and we appreciate you! If your network is bigger than your budget, your group might be able to give sponsorship support through in-kind publicity! Contact us to talk about it!
Our growing list of co-sponsors:
- Smith-Barbieri Progressive Fund
Si, Se Puede!
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane (our host)
- Community Building Foundation
Networking Breakfast Sponsor
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington & North Idaho
Building Power to Win
Growing Our Movement
- SEIU 1199NW
- UFCW 1439
- Spokane Regional Labor Council AFL-CIO
Strengthening Our Work
- National Association of Social Workers – WA-Inland Empire Region
Dedicated to Justice
- Spokane Area NOW
- The Oak Tree
- The Grove Community
- Socialist Alternative – Spokane Area
- The Fig Tree
- Greater Spokane Progress
- The Tenants Union of Washington
- I Did the Time
- Democratic Socialists of America
- FUSE Washington
- Responsible Growth – NE WA
- Erin Jellison Design