PJALS is now hiring Organizing Interns!
The Peace and Justice Action League of Spokane engages everyday people to build a just and nonviolent world. Our approach is community organizing and grassroots leadership development for peace, racial equity, economic justice, and human rights. Check us out: www.pjals.org
PJALS’ Young Activist Leaders Program (YALP) supports young people to make a difference on social justice causes they care about and help them connect in the greater Spokane community. YALP is for young people ages 15-22 who are passionate about social justice. Together, young people build collective voice and true community.
Typically, any given YALP season includes a series of diverse educational workshops, leadership development, and project support. However, in Fall 2023, young people between the ages of 15 and 22 have the unique opportunity to join the PJALS team as Organizing Interns! Through voter contact and voter education, Organizing Interns play a key role to help defeat Spokane County’s Measure 1 and stop the expansion of the Spokane County Jail. Through this experience, Organizing Interns will learn the fundamentals of organizing: the most important knowledge to be an effective community organizer and leader.
Multiple positions are available at $16 an hour, up to 3 hours a week from late September through early November. Organizing Interns are invited to continue participating in the Young Activist Leaders Program through June 2024 as well, but that commitment is not required to apply for the position. The dates for the fall session are:
Friday, September 22, 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Friday, September 29, (evening attendance at Peace & Justice Action Conference event)
Friday, October 6, 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Friday, October 13, 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Friday, October 20, 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Friday, October 27, 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Friday, November 3, 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Organizing Intern duties will include:
- Participate in organizing training workshops and voter contact via phone or texting with growth mindset
- YALP sessions will be on Fridays at 4pm-5:30pm in person in downtown Spokane (exact location TBD); food is provided.
- Participants will also have the option to participate in other voter contact sessions at other times.
Organizing Intern duties may also include:
- Participate in other PJALS organizational events
- Share reflections and updates in PJALS newsletters, social media, or in other community-wide media
- Collaborate with other PJALS staff and leaders on projects
- No experience necessary.
- Open to applicants ages 15-22.
- Must be committed to building respectful relationships across different identities
- Must be reliable
- Able to commit to weekly sessions from late September through mid-November
Application deadline: Sept 18, 2023