Now Hiring: PJALS Youth Organizer Interns!
The Peace and Justice Action League of Spokane engages everyday people to build a just and nonviolent world. Our approach is community organizing and grassroots leadership development for peace, racial equity, economic justice, and human rights. Check us out: www.pjals.org
The Young Activist Leaders Program (YALP) is a subprogram of PJALS that supports young people to make a difference on social justice causes they care about and help them make connections in the greater Spokane community. YALP is for young people ages 15-22 who are passionate about social justice.
There are two main aspects of YALP: workshops and project support. Youth leaders run hands-on workshops on the basics of organizing: the most important knowledge to be an effective community organizer and leader. Project support provides young people with resources to advance the social justice projects they are working on. Together, young people build collective voice and true community.
PJALS is now hiring Youth Organizer Interns! Interns will participate in YALP and help the Youth Organizer run the program. Multiple positions are available at $17 an hour, up to 5 hours a week through June, possibly longer.
Youth Organizer Intern duties will include:
- Participate in YALP workshops and events and other learning opportunities with growth mindset
- YALP workshops are Tuesdays at 4pm-5:30pm in person in downtown Spokane; food is provided.
- Help PJALS Youth Organizer coordinate Young Activist Leaders Program: Promote and recruit, plan workshops and projects, organize guest speakers, communicate with participants before and after sessions.
- Communicate with partner organizations, student groups, teachers, and other potential partners
- Help plan YALP for fall 2023 and possibly beyond
Youth Organizer Intern duties may also include:
- Presenting workshops
- Maintain and expand curriculum library
- Participate in other PJALS organizational events
- Share reflections and updates in PJALS newsletters, social media, or in other community-wide media
- Collaborate with other PJALS staff and leaders on projects
- No experience necessary.
- Open to applicants ages 15-22.
- Must be committed to building respectful relationships across different identities
- Must be reliable
- Ideal applicants will be in the Spokane area for the 2023-2024 academic year because this temporary internship could lead to continued employment opportunities.
- Ideal applicants will have gone through the Young Activist Leaders program in a past session but this is NOT necessary to apply!
How to apply:
Send an email with 3-4 sentences (or more if you like) explaining why you are interested in the internship! Include your name, phone number, age, and 1-2 sentences about yourself We’ll respond to set up a phone conversation. Email [email protected] with subject line Internship.
Deadline to apply is January 31 2023.